[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

Naba Kumar naba.kumar at nokia.com
Mon Aug 13 07:06:18 PDT 2007

Hi George,

ext George Wright wrote:
> - Added the concept of grouping accounts using a tagging system on the
> accounts themselves.
 >
 > SetPresenceOnGroup ( s: group, u: presence_state, s: presence_message
 > ) -> nothing
 > Sets a presence on all accounts which are a member of a
 > specified group. Parameters

As I mentioned before, I am not such a fan of account groups and do not
believe is a viable feature. There is also no clear API for accounts
tagging/grouping that will make it consistent.

The better approach I believe is to have SetPresenceOnAccount() [1]
instead and leave the grouping policy to the UI (if it wants). This way
it allows setting individual presence for the accounts.

This is also particularly important when we specify different UI
handlers (applications) for certain custom protocol. When the said UIs
want to start communicating, it can use this method to initiate/maintain
their respective comms without bothering to bring all other user
accounts online.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba

[1] Not to be confused with TpConn's set presence, because the app
doesn't have the connection object in the beginning.