[Telepathy] Proposed standard MC API

George Wright george.wright at collabora.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 05:36:54 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 12:04:35 Dafydd Harries wrote:
> I think that's rubbish. Whenever the average user has a choice between
> "make it work" and "don't make it work", they will pick "make it work"
> every time.

Why is that rubbish? I think it would be unwise to hide the security status
away from the client - if only so the client can put a little
message/icon/whatever in the IM window and warn the user that any information
[s]he sends is potentially open to sniffing.

I feel the user has a right to know whether the CM they're using can support
encrypted traffic or not.

> Also, what are your criteria for "secure"?

Supports SSL encryption (or some other encryption method) of all IM traffic.

--
George Wright, http://www.gwright.org.uk
Collabora Ltd - http://www.collabora.co.uk