[Telepathy] [Telepathy-commits] merge: telepathy-salut

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Wed Aug 29 01:42:19 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 09:26:40AM -0400, Olivier Crête wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-28-08 at 15:16 +0200, Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> > >
> > > Why? D-Bus tubes require the dbus_message_marshal and
> > > dbus_message_unmarshal functions, which require D-Bus 1.1.0 (an unstable
> > > development version, if you believe upstream). I'm not sure that we should be
> > > making that a hard requirement.
> >
> > We dump D-Bus version to 1.1 since some time now. As Sjoerd says when we
> > did it "Everyone should want tubes". :)
>
> With my distributor hat on I'd say that this will delay the integration
> of Salut into any stable distribution until dbus 1.2.x is released. So
> it may not be such a good idea.

Ubuntu Gutsy will release somewhere in october, Fedora core 8 at the beginning
of November.  Both will have a D-Bus >= 1.1 (and there current devel versions
already have). Debian Lenny is not planned for a while, but it would release now
it would have D-Bus >= 1.1.

So with my own distro head on and looking what other major distro's do, i can
say that all will have the needed dependencies for salut in their next stable
release.  If not their really outdated by the time they got out or they are
already in some kind of freeze which means that they'll release with the
previous version of salut :)

  Sjoerd

--
Heisenberg may have slept here...