[Telepathy] Libtelepathy/Telepathy-glib usage

Travis Reitter treitter-dev at netdrain.com
Tue Jun 19 00:16:56 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to dig into Telepathy, but I'm having trouble figuring out
the C bindings.

My main questions are:

1. I've got a Gtk+/Glib app -- should I be using libtelepathy or
telepathy-glib? The docs make telepathy-glib look like it's just for
implementing connection managers.

2. I've looked around a lot, but the closest thing I've found to docs
for libtelepathy are the gtk-doc comments in the header files. There's
the Telepathy spec, but I'm hitting some snags specifically related to
the libtelepathy C functions. Is there some documentation I just haven't
found?

3. Specifically, I'm writing a simple test app that connects to the
Gabble connection manager, requests a connection for my Jabber account,
then gets the presence for another Jabber account. So I basically have:

tp_connmgr_new (tp_get_bus (), "org.freedesktop.Telepathy",
                "/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/ConnectionManager/gabble",
                "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.gabble");

<fill up connmgr_params GHashTable*>

tp_conn = tp_connmgr_new_connection (tp_connmgr, conn_params,
                                     "jabber");

and the last function is bombing out with:

(process:13802): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_get_qdata: assertion
`node != NULL' failed
    [4 times total]

** (process:13802): WARNING **: Cannot marshal type "(null)" in variant

** ERROR **: file dbus-gproxy.c: line 2133
(dbus_g_proxy_marshal_args_to_message): should not be reached

None of the values in the hash are NULL - I manually looked them all up,
and they're all correct. And I'm using the exact same ones I use in a
Python version of the program which works as expected (I'm not used to
the differences in syntax and usage between the two bindings yet).

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
-Travis