[Telepathy] Standardising Mission Control

Naba Kumar naba.kumar at nokia.com
Thu May 10 05:25:00 PDT 2007

ext Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007, Alberto Mardegan said:
>> ext Alp Toker wrote:
>>> Some possible desirables:
>>>
>>>     * Client/service separation: Allow for lightweight client
>>>       implementations by doing as much work as possible in the service.
>>>       This would mean having D-Bus API not only for for accessing
>>>       accounts but also for manipulating account details.
>> I take for granted that we all agree on gconf being the place where to
>> store account data (if not, step forward!).
>
> Step.  That's a big assumption - Telepathy is not the same as gnome.

Speaking of gconf usage in mission-control, I have have been thinking
about implementing flexible accounts storage backends (like mentioned at
website). gconf would just be one of the many.

That's said, I tend to agree with Alberto that manipulating accounts via
dbus API sounds too far fetched to me. I think what we need is
sufficiently portable library that most mc/client implementations can
use directly (along with the desired storage backend), either directly
in case of compatible languages or via simple language bindings.

Thanks.

Regards,
-Naba