[Telepathy] improvements to avatar and aliasing interfaces

Abner Jose abnerf at gmail.com
Mon May 21 05:37:18 PDT 2007

On 5/19/07, Robert McQueen <robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> Abner Jose wrote:
> > What about aliasing? Will it work in the same way as Avatar?
>
> It's a different problem to avatars because often aliases are pushed to
> you, and it's not often it requires a round-trip to the server. The idea
> I had for aliasing was that we could leave the existing API as-is, with
> RequestAliases, but also add a function GetAliases, which would return
> the current known value of any cached/received/heuristically-determined
> aliases, but also potentially sending off some longer-running requests
> which would return AliasChanged later.

Great idea. Probably it'll help a lot, because I don't know why, but
RequestAlias takes a long time to return. Seems to be the most expensive of
all when we're testing an IM client. (We've tested it on colligo, but
probably is because it blocks the ui)

On a similar note, I was considering an API on the Connection, something
> like ContactQuery, or the turbo-handle inspector, which would take a
> load of handles and return you a sparse dictionary for each, containing
> any information known about them keyed by identifiers, eg 1 could be
> string value of the handle, 2 could be the alias, 3 could be the
> presence, 4 could be the avatar token, 5 could be the handle owner (if
> the given handle was channel specific).
>
> Also, the return value could include opportunistic results about any
> owner handles (in the same way that DNS queries can return extra
> relevant results). It could also have the semantic of sending off any
> relevant long-running queries, and later emitting signals when this
> information was received.
>
> The intention would be to reduce bus-roundtrips (which are the real
> performance killer) when e.g. joining a channel, or receiving an
> invitation from someone, etc: rather than querying 3 or 4 different
> methods for handle x y and z, you can immediately make 1 method call for
> [xyz] and scrape out any info the connection manager has about them at
> the moment, and hook the signals for any subsequent updates.

This is awsome!!

I love that, but is there no problem to pass a big bunch of data through
dbus? I mean,  handle uri +  presence + alias + avatar (data) + extra infos
about contact.
Well anyhow I don't think it'll be so big ...

BR

-Abner

--
Abner José de F. Silva