[Telepathy] Improved chandler/filter system for MC

Alban Crequy muadda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 12:02:21 PDT 2007

On 10/9/07, Xavier Claessens <xclaesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I discussed a bit with Guillaume about Tube integration in MC/Empathy
> while he was working on gtetrinet to use Empathy. I think we need more
> powerful chandler/filter system in MC.

I would be happy to have this kind of integration. I want to add a few
use cases because I don't know if Nokia's MC and your ideas permit
them.

> Uses cases:
> ----------
> 1) private chat client want to be started for and receive a Text channel
> with an handle of type Contact and muc client wants Text channels with
> handle type Room.
> 2) Logger application wants to receive any text channel (private and
> muc), it wants to keep using the channel and let MC start the chat
> client.
> 3) StatusIcon and ContactList wants to receive any Text channel *before*
> the chat client and will tell MC when chat client can be started, like
> that the they can blink the icon and wait for the user to click on it
> before starting the chat program. StatusIcon and ContactList can be
> separate processes, they both need to get the channel at the same time
> (before chat client) and once one of them says it's ok to start the chat
> the other should be warned to stop blinking.
> 4) GTetrinet wants to receive Tubes channels and TubeID ONLY if the
> tube's service is "tetrinet-x".

5) a) I can write documents with Abiword through a tube and the tube's
service is "abicollab". Say that others write processors start to
implement the abicollab protocol and OOo is now able to handle the
"abicollab" service. I see the status icon blinking, and when I click
on it, I want to be able to choose between Abiword and OOo for this
specific session.

Is it possible? Which priority will have the status icon, OOo, and Abiword?

b) Or maybe I want to configure my desktop to always use OOo.

In this case, do we want to save this setup in gconf, or use
alternatives to install/remove .service files?

6) When a text channel opens up, the status icon blinks, but I prefer
to see the first few words of the chat on OSD. And if I am interested
to follow the chat now, I click on the status icon, and the chat
client appears.

The OSD program must have access to the content of the messages. I
guess OSD has to accept the channel. Can the chat program accept the
channel if it has been already accepted by a higher priority service
(the OSD program)?

7) a) I am currently in a meeting and I use Abicollab + voice call for
working. A friend bothers me because he try to start a gtetrinet
session with me. Because I don't want the status icon blinking nor the
gtetrinet client opens up, I want to disable all games services during
the meeting.

b) Or maybe I want to disable gtetrinet for this specific contact.

Do my contacts know if I am available for chatting, and abicollab, but
I don't want to be disturbed by tetrinet-x? Maybe I want a different
presence for each service. How to keep it simple to the user?

Thanks,

Alban Crequy