[Telepathy] MissionControl's spec

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 14:29:54 PDT 2007

Hi,

I opened a darcs branch to add MissionControl's spec into
telepathy-spec[1]. You can see generated html [2] I'm not sure it's the
right place but if I make a separate package I have to duplicate all
generator code from tp-spec... Also, will we add MC interfaces to
tp-glib? Maybe in a libtelepathy-glib-mc.so? Like that we can use the
same code generator to implement MC.

Problems I see:

1) org.freedesktop.Telepathy.MissionControl.ProtocolManager: Is that
interface useful at all? libtelepathy already has code to do such
things. I think we should think about a good profile system instead.
Information in NMC profiles:

   Manager=gabble
   Protocol=jabber
   DisplayName=Google Talk
   IconName = empathy-proto-google-talk
   ConfigurationUI = jabber
   Capabilities = chat-p2p, chat-room, chat-room-list, voice-p2p,
                  split-account, supports-avatars, supports-alias
   SupportedPresences = offline,available,away,extended-away,
                        do-not-disturb
   VCardField = X-Jabber
   DefaultAccountDomain = gmail.com
   Default-$param = $value

 - DisplayName: Should be internationalized.
 - IconName: Depends on who install the icon PNGs
 - ConfigurationUI: In N800 that's a string with the path to the UI
plugin to configure parameters of the account, that totally depends on
the client. For Empathy it's just a string to choose between available
hard-coded UIs.
 - Default-$param = $value: That depends on client's policy, for example
should we ignore ssl errors to connect gmail accounts? It could also be
set by SIP providers to configure everything for their service.

So who should install profiles? If each client install his set of
profiles and the user install kopette and Empathy, he will have 2
profiles for gabble... If the CM install profile how could we have
translated fields, icons, etc? I don't know how to do that right.

2) ListAccounts, FindAccounts and GetOnlineAccounts does the same thing:
finding accounts corresponding to some criterias. ListAccounts can be
done using FindAccounts(NULL) and GetOnlineAccounts can be done using
FindAccounts(["status", connected]).

3) AccountStatusChanged is on AccountManager and GetConnectionStatus is
on Account... They should be both on the same object, but which one?

4) ConnectAll: is that useful? The default presence is not defined in
the spec... I think it can be easily replaced by SetGlobalPresence. Or
maybe we should define in the spec that MC must save presence for all
accounts and calling ConnectAll will restore saved presence? In that
case ConnectAll could be renamed to ResorePresence?

5) RequestChannel: description says "putting the account online if
necessary". Ok but with which presence? I think that method should just
return an error NOT_CONNECTED in that case.

6) AccountStatusChanged: It gives the account's presence, is that
useful? We have a signal for presence update on the account.

7) RequestChannel: handle_type should be u.

That's all for now, I will update my branch with your suggestions.

Xavier Claessens.

[1] http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~monkey/telepathy-spec-mc/
[2] http://projects.collabora.co.uk/~xclaesse/spec.html