[Telepathy] mission control not implementing prefixes properly

Rainer Dorsch rdorsch at web.de
Mon Oct 29 18:35:38 PDT 2007

Alban,

thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

Am Montag, 29. Oktober 2007 16:03 schrieben Sie:
> On 10/29/07, Xavier Claessens <xclaesse at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > MC is expecting to find the data file in the standard file system
> > > directories.
> > > However, you can override this by passing the --with-profiles-dir and
> > > --with-managers-dir options to the configure script, or override them
> > > at run-time, with the MC_PROFILE_DIR and MC_MANAGER_DIR environment
> > > variables.
> >
> > I think it should work by setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/share too.
>
> Yes, XDG_DATA_DIRS works.
>
> If you have installed stable packaged versions of Telepathy, you may
> want to test modified versions without breaking your system. It is
> possible to use both versions at the same time by using a separate
> D-Bus session.
>
> First I install all in a prefix:
> export PREFIX=$HOME/prefix
>
> I configure my testing session of D-Bus:
> cp /etc/dbus-1/session.conf /etc/dbus-1/session-jabber.conf
> and patch the session-jabber.conf file:
> -  <standard_session_servicedirs />
> +  <servicedir>/home/user/prefix/share/dbus-1/services</servicedir>
>
> I will start the testing session of D-Bus, but before that, I have to
> set the environment variables I want for Connection Managers and
> Mission Control because they will be started automatically by the
> D-Bus daemon by automatic activation.
>
> I use the following variables:
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$PREFIX/share/:/usr/share/
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib64:$PREFIX/lib/
> export
> PYTHONPATH=$PREFIX/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/:$PREFIX/lib/python2.5/sit
>e-packages/:/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/:/usr/lib/python2.5/site-pack
>ages/
>
> Then I start the D-Bus testing session:
> dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/session-jabber.conf
> --print-address | tee /tmp/dbus-telepathy-${USER}.log

I followed you steps until here (I did not remove the
standard_session_servicedirs because I have no default telepathy
installation), stopped my standard dbus, and started dbus as root with the
new config file:

dbus-daemon --config-file=/etc/dbus-1/session-gtalk.conf --print-address |
tee /tmp/dbus-telepathy-${USER}.log
unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-fSPj0FfHs6,guid=5c59128225b3adfa7aa04a00472686e4

> D-Bus will start the right version of Mission Control because I
> specified the directory  in session-jabber.conf. And MC will inherit
> the environment variable $XDG_DATA_DIRS, so it will find its files
> correctly.
>
> XDG_DATA_DIRS is explained here:
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/FileFormats#head-a6fed3e23831ef021b6f
>cd8e92a6db8af1562e44
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html
>
> If I want to start Empathy or another Telepathy client in the testing
> session, I have to specify it in the $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
> environment variable:
> export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(head -n 1
> /tmp/dbus-telepathy-${USER}.log)

then as user

rdorsch at paddy:~/SW.nobackup/tapioca$ export|grep DBUS
declare -x
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-fSPj0FfHs6,guid=5c59128225b3adfa7aa04a00472686e4"
rdorsch at paddy:~/SW.nobackup/tapioca$

it seems that my access to dbus is rejected:

rdorsch at paddy:~/SW.nobackup/tapioca$ ./empathyloc

** ERROR **: Failed to connect to starter bus: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the
message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or
the network connection was broken.
aborting...
./empathyloc: line 5: 14615 Aborted                 empathy $*
rdorsch at paddy:~/SW.nobackup/tapioca$

When I do not specify DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS empathy comes up but no
accounts are available (and I also see no additional output of the
dbus-daemon).

Any idea, why I cannot connect dbus?

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
Lärchenstr. 6
jabber: rdorsch at jabber.org
GPG Fingerprint: 5966 C54C 2B3C 42CC 1F4F  8F59 E3A8 C538 7519 141E
Full GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/