[Telepathy] Our error reporting sucks

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 13:45:15 PDT 2008

Hello,

After spending too much time already trying to debug errors coming out
of a connection manager, I've come to a simple conclusion: Telepathy
error reporting SUCKS!

As a first step, I propose adding translated error strings to the dbus
errors.. So that instead of getting only "NetworkError", we'd also get a
strings that says "Could not resolve a.b.c". Obviously, the UIs could
ignore the string and the CMs don't have to emit a message with every
error.

Also replace the org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.StatusChanged
signal with StatusChangedMessage(uus) where the string is the reason for
the status change (I'm especially thinking of the NetworkError reason
here).

Also, I propose adding new log retrieval interface and make it mandatory
on the ConnectionManager object and optional on the sub-objects (the
Connection and Channels).

Something like org.fd.tp.LogRetrieval with this method:
GetLog(u: Number of Lines to return u: Min log level) -> a(us)
Where u would be the log level for that line (and s the string)
so the UI can display/colorise it properly.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Collabora Ltd