[Telepathy] hello and question re: feature requests

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 23:58:52 PDT 2008

On lun, 2008-09-01 at 02:17 -0400, Leif Walsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just started using empathy when I upgraded to the intrepid alpha.  I
> like it so far, but I have a few feature requests.
>
> First of all, is this the right list?  It was linked to from the
> empathy page, but the name is 'telepathy', so...you never know.  If
> not, ignore the rest.  If so, here are some questions:

You are in the right place.

> Where should I put feature requests?  Is the bug tracker sufficient,
> or is there a more appropriate place set up for them?

bugzilla.gnome.org is good.

> I'd like to work on a few small things (see above note about feature
> requests) in my spare time.  Is there a developer here with a bunch of
> free time that wouldn't mind me bugging them for guidance around the
> existing codebase so I can get up to speed faster?  Alternatively, are
> those types of questions entertained willingly on the entire list?

I am the main developer so I can answer your questions either via this
mailing list or on IRC (#telepathy on freenode). I prefer public
communication over private email/chat, like that others can answer the
questions when I'm away.

> Is there a style guideline somewhere that's being adhered to?

As Empathy is a fork of Gossip which is an imendio application, we
inherit their coding style: http://developer.imendio.com/codingstyle

For new files (and some existing ones) it is accepted to use the
collabora coding style: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Style

Thanks for giving time to Empathy, it is really appreciated!

Regards,
Xavier Claessens.