[Telepathy] Using a server as some kind of audio/video relay?

Olivier Crête olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 2 18:09:00 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 22:34 +1100, John Pye wrote:
> I have Linux server available to me which has a static IP address and
> which I can control.

What you want are called ICE and TURN.

ICE is a protocol used with SIP or XMPP that allows one to get through
most NATs. TURN is Traversal Using Relays around NAT, its a
soon-to-be-standardised protocol that implements a relay.

That said, our implementation of these protocols is not yet fully
integrated into any desktop client.

However, if you use gabble + telepathy-stream-engine + empathy, you can
make XMPP Jingle calls using an implementation of ICE and TURN from an
older draft that is compatible with Google Talk.

In summary, with SIP its painful for now.
With XMPP, you can use gabble+farsight1+stream-engine+empathy and have
calls work with other telepathy users as well as google-talk compatible
clients.

--
Olivier Crête
olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk