[Telepathy] handling custom channels

harini satyanarayanan hpundis1 at binghamton.edu
Thu Feb 28 03:53:54 PST 2008

hi,
  I am working on maemo+telepathy+mission control to create an
application that can exchange pictorial information.I am trying to
create a custom channel in telepathy but not sure how it is done,
cause all references only speak about already existing channels.

In the mission-control wiki I read that If an application wants to
create a channel and handle it itself, it shouldn't go through the MC
since only the application is responsible for that channel.also that
all channel requests going through the MC will be dispatched with the
.chandler mechanism. I am not sure how should custom channels be
handled? Do you have some pointers   to some examples?

I was asked to look into empathy to figure out how these work, but I
assume that the .chandler files in empathy are for the standard text
and audio/video channel.I doubt if empathy is using any custom
channels.

Also I was seeing if there was a way i can embed these messages onto
anyone of the existing channels but I couldn't find much documentation
on that too............I was hoping i sent these messages along with
text messages and use the Channel_Text_Message_Type_Action flag to
tell the application not to treat it as a normal message. Is this
possible?

Sorry about so many questions....any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Harini