[Telepathy] Account and AccountManager objects

Xavier Claessens xclaesse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 07:34:03 PST 2008

2008/1/25, Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 at 16:04:19 +0100, Xavier Claessens wrote:
> > 2008/1/25, Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>:
> > > * the displayed name of the preset (localizable somehow)
> > >   - can probably also be used as (part of?) the default displayed name
> > >     for new accounts
> >

> > Also a localized description text?
>
> I suppose... I'm not quite sure what a UI that used such a thing would
> look like, but it could be useful.
>
> If we expose presets on D-Bus I think we'll need to have arbitrary
> keyword lookup capabilities... perhaps we're better to just use files.
> Using D-Bus means only MC would need to (know how to) monitor the
> presets directory for changes, although we probably don't need much in
> the way of change notification or polling.
>
> > > * some specified way to select a default icon from a theme:
> > >   e.g. for the gtalk preset (which uses gabble) for the jabber
> protocol,
> > > use
> > >   telepathy-jabber-gabble-gtalk falling back to
> telepathy-jabber-gabble
> > >   and telepathy-jabber?
> > >   (Should the CM be part of the calculation or not? If so, it should
> be
> > >   less "important" than the protocol - users care about XMPP vs MSN
> > >   rather than Gabble vs Haze)
> >
> > I think it could just provide an icon name and if it's not available in
> the
> > icon theme it's up to the UI to make a choice based on CM/Protocol.
>
> Well, my proposal (which I may have phrased badly) was for our
> specification to describe how icons are named, in terms of the preset, CM
> and
> protocol names, so we don't really ever need to set an icon name in the
> .preset at all.

Hum, I'm not sure it's in the scope of the TP spec, I would like to have
non-telepathy names like that gnome-icon-theme (or tango theme, ...) can
easily override our icons. Empathy currently uses im-<protocol> for example:
"im-msn". I hope that naming could be pushed to the fd.o icon naming spec.
If we introduce "telepathy" in the icon name we have no chance it becomes a
standard name.