[Telepathy] Requestotron use-cases, part 7 (starting to propose implementations)

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jun 6 07:18:00 PDT 2008

Le Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:25:49 +0100,
Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> a écrit :

> Here are some implementation proposals, corresponding to
> those currently in <http://people.collabora.co.uk/~smcv/dispatch.html>
> and <http://people.collabora.co.uk/~smcv/request.html>. I'll be adding
> to these, but I wanted to get a snapshot of how we're currently
> thinking into telepathy-spec 0.17.7 (due out today or tomorrow).
>
> My current sketches of the future API can be found at
> <http://monkey.collabora.co.uk/tp-spec-smcv-requests/> - I've put a
> HTMLized version in <http://people.collabora.co.uk/~smcv/cd.html>
> which is occasionally updated. This is all subject to quite a lot of
> change over the next few weeks as we argue about the design...

I have some questions:

 - What are the use cases for NewDispatch and DispatchFinished signals?
Does the order between HandleDispatch method calls and NewDispatch
signal matter? And between HandleChannels method call and
DispatchFinished signal?

 - What will happen to the current RegisterFilter MC API? Will it be
removed and replaced by something?

 - The dispatcher has to know the list of Client.Approver. How? Will it
use D-Bus activation? Should it be documented in the spec (where)?

 - How does the dispatcher know the list of Client.Observer?

 - How does the dispatcher know the list of Client.ChannelHandler?

 - Client.Approver approves a channel bundle and Client.ChannelHandler
handles a channel bundle. Why Client.Observer receives the
ObserveChannel method call with only one channel?

 - In case of an Client.ChannelHandler that wants to log text
conversations, how can we guaranty that the observer get all text
messages? The channel handler can be already started and acknowledges
text messages before the observer is activated by D-Bus (race
condition).

 - The dispatcher calls HandleDispatch with the list of handlers as a
parameter. If the approver chooses to call HandleWith, can it choose
an handler that is not in the list?

 - HandleDispatch: "Processes that aren't approvers shouldn't be making
connections anyway" --> what does mean making connections? (A D-Bus
connection?)

 - dis5b: How does the channel dispatcher know the Juliet's VoIP UI
caps? Is it HandledChannelClasses on
org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.DRAFT? What should do the channel
dispatcher if the client does not implement this property?

--
Alban