[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-glib 0.7.7

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 2 09:47:31 PDT 2008

The "Old Trip" release.

Tarball:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-glib/telepathy-glib-0.7.7.tar.gz
Signature:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-glib/telepathy-glib-0.7.7.tar.gz.asc
Development branch in Darcs:
http://darcs.collabora.co.uk/darcs/telepathy/telepathy-glib

API changes:

* It is an error to pass non-NULL user_data, weak_object or destroy arguments
  when making an asynchronous method call with callback == NULL (i.e.
  ignoring the reply) - doing this would make no sense

Enhancements:

* Implement tp_connection_call_when_ready, tp_channel_call_when_ready -
  fully async variants of the existing run_when_ready API (fd.o #15300)

* Documentation: divide up the service-side Channel interfaces by topic,
  in the same way the client-side ones were already divided up

* TpTextMixin: drop the futile attempt to limit memory consumption. We were
  doing it wrong, and a typical connection manager has so many ways it can
  be induced to consume memory that trying to guard against this particular
  case by truncating or dropping messages seems likely to cause more problems
  than it fixes.

* TpTextMixin: save a malloc/free cycle in GetMessageTypes

* TpGroupMixin: don't emit GroupFlagsChanged(0, 0)

* Log a message when disconnected from the D-Bus session bus

* Improve ABI-checking functionality so symbols only have to be whitelisted
  just before a release

Fixes:

* TpBaseConnection: don't return from Disconnect() until disconnection has
  fully completed (fd.o #15796)

* libglibcodegen.py: generate correct bindings for arrays of object-path (ao)

* glib-client-gen.py: cope correctly with Unicode in the spec

* doc-generator.xsl: update from telepathy-spec to cope with arrays of mappings

* When a channel's connection becomes invalidated, don't warn if the
  resulting invalidation causes the channel to be freed (fd.o #15644)

* In tp_handle_lookup() on a dynamic handle repository, if the ID is valid
  but there is no handle, raise the error NotAvailable, instead of returning
  0 with no error set (fd.o #15387)

* When asynchronous method calls are made on an unsupported interface, call
  the user-supplied destroy() callback on the user_data (fd.o #15530)

* TpTextMixin: fix a memory leak in ListPendingMessages

* Use automake 1.8 if available, to verify that we can still build on such
  an old version

* When running under valgrind with the recommended suppressions, don't
  complain about libc dlopen initialization caused by the handle-leak debug
  code

Recommended updates for projects using code-generation:

* Update libglibcodegen.py to avoid a crash if arrays of object-path appear
  in your API in future

* Update glib-client-gen.py to avoid fd.o #15530; this will cause your project
  to require telepathy-glib >= 0.7.3

Full Darcs changes since 0.7.6 follow.

Regards,
    Simon

Fri May  2 17:29:35 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  tagged telepathy-glib 0.7.7 (libtool c:r:a = 10:0:10)

Fri May  2 17:21:33 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * In tp_base_connection_finish_shutdown, make assertions about our state (part of fd.o #15796)

Fri May  2 17:18:34 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * In tp_base_connection_change_status, allocate priv->disconnect_requests if necessary, so Disconnect() will do the right thing (fd.o #15796)

Fri May  2 16:47:56 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Prepare release 0.7.7 (libtool c:r:a 10:0:10)

Fri May  2 12:36:42 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Update NEWS again

Fri May  2 12:22:57 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Document TpConnectionWhenReadyCb

Fri May  2 12:22:47 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Document TpChannelWhenReadyCb

Fri May  2 12:18:48 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Make check-c-style.mk not complain about connection regression test

Fri May  2 12:17:07 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tp-glib-examples.supp: don't warn on dlopen initialization, triggered by handle-leak-debug code

Fri May  2 12:12:14 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * connection regression test: don't leak the SimpleConnection object

Fri May  2 12:11:12 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpBaseConnection: don't return from Disconnect() until disconnection has fully completed (fd.o #15796)

Fri May  2 12:10:32 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpBaseConnection: simplify access to private area

Fri May  2 12:09:49 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Document tp_connection_call_when_ready

Fri May  2 12:09:40 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Document tp_channel_call_when_ready

Fri May  2 11:41:22 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * channel-introspect.c: fix call_when_ready regression test

Fri May  2 11:37:57 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add a regression test for tp_connection_call_when_ready

Fri May  2 11:37:48 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * myassert.h: fix precedence

Fri May  2 11:17:26 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add MYASSERT_SAME_ERROR to myassert.h

Fri May  2 11:16:50 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Implement tp_connection_call_when_ready() (fd.o #15300)

Fri May  2 11:16:23 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Fix TpConnection documentation to not refer to TpChannel

Thu May  1 15:18:50 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Update NEWS

Thu May  1 12:02:56 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add regression tests for tp_channel_run_until_ready() and tp_channel_call_when_ready()

Thu May  1 12:02:28 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add tp_channel_call_when_ready() (part of fd.o #15300)

Thu May  1 10:54:52 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * When a channel's connection becomes invalidated, take a temporary ref to the channel while calling out to user code (fd.o #15644)

Thu May  1 10:52:10 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add regression test for #15644

Thu May  1 10:35:05 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tests/dbus/Makefile.am: re-order

Wed Apr 30 12:32:15 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * handle-set regression test: don't leak handles

Wed Apr 30 12:29:43 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpDynamicHandleRepo: in tp_handle_lookup() implementation, raise NotAvailable if the ID is valid but there is no handle, rather than returning 0 with no error (closes fd.o #15387)

Wed Apr 30 12:27:29 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * handle-set test: add regression test for fd.o #15387

Wed Apr 30 12:27:11 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpDynamicHandleRepo: move docs from .h to .c

Wed Apr 30 12:13:01 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * handle-set test: use MYASSERT(); other stylistic fixes

Mon Apr 28 15:20:04 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tp_group_mixin_change_flags: DEBUG() even if there's no effect

Mon Apr 28 15:18:47 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tp_group_mixin_change_flags: document Pekka's change

Wed Apr 23 18:27:10 BST 2008  Pekka Pessi <ppessi at gmail dot com>
  *  Avoid emitting GroupFlagsChanged(0, 0)

Wed Apr 23 15:24:20 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * When doing handle-leak debugging, print a message when there are no leaks, so you can tell the check has been done

Wed Apr 23 12:37:42 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Downgrade being disconnected from the session bus from g_warning to g_message, so it doesn't prompt us to dump core during regression tests (which run in "maximally twitchy" mode)

Tue Apr 22 12:07:11 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Fix bashism "&>"

Tue Apr 22 11:36:51 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * glib-client-gen.py: in _call_ methods, destroy (user_data) even if there is no such interface (closes fd.o #15530).
  If callback is NULL, require user_data, weak_object and destroy to be NULL too.

Tue Apr 22 11:34:31 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tests/dbus/unsupported-interface.c: add regression test for fd.o #15530

Mon Apr 21 18:59:37 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * telepathy-glib/Makefile.am: we don't need ls-interfaces.xsl

Mon Apr 21 18:55:57 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove cruft from tools/: spec-to-introspect.xsl, make-all-async.xsl, ls-interfaces.xsl

Fri Apr 18 10:39:28 BST 2008  Guillaume Desmottes <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk>
  * set an explanation about why we have to call dbus_connection_add_filter before tp_base_connection_manager_register

Fri Apr 18 10:26:52 BST 2008  Guillaume Desmottes <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk>
  * register our filter earlier so it magically does what we want

Thu Apr 17 17:10:16 BST 2008  Guillaume Desmottes <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk>
  * ask to libdbus to don't kill when we got disconnect and call exit ourself as for some strange reason the handler is not called with the Disconnected signal

Thu Apr 17 16:33:16 BST 2008  Guillaume Desmottes <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk>
  * run.c: log a warning when the CM is disconnected from the session bus

Mon Apr 14 17:00:50 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Expect to find ABI lists in $(srcdir)

Mon Apr 14 16:58:26 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove leftover dependency on _gen/versioned-abi.txt

Mon Apr 14 16:53:15 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Update instructions for making releases

Mon Apr 14 16:51:11 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove version-script.txt

Mon Apr 14 16:50:57 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove reference to version-script.txt when making releases

Mon Apr 14 16:47:45 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * During build, use versions/*.abi to determine whether we broke ABI

Mon Apr 14 16:47:20 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add a script to generate a GNU ld version script from versions/*.abi

Mon Apr 14 16:46:30 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Add files listing the ABI added in each release

Wed Apr 16 16:09:53 BST 2008  Guillaume Desmottes <guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk>
  * tp_debug_divert_messages: trunc the file when opening

Mon Apr 21 13:59:55 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * autogen.sh: prefer to use automake-1.8 if available (avoids accidentally depending on 1.9 features)

Mon Apr 21 13:59:33 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove INSTALL - autogen.sh will copy in the current generic INSTALL file from autoconf

Fri Apr 11 14:31:41 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Fix wrong cast in initializer

Wed Apr  9 16:27:32 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * tp_text_mixin_get_message_types_async: inline tp_text_mixin_get_message_types (saving a malloc/free cycle for copying the GArray)

Wed Apr  9 15:27:18 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpTextMixin: ListPendingMessages: don't leak the GValueArrays and their contents

Wed Apr  9 15:27:00 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpTextMixin: comment where we might get an overflow in pathological cases

Fri Apr 11 13:00:51 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Update NEWS

Fri Apr 11 12:50:21 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Fix generation of bindings for arrays of object-path ('ao') - GPtrArray, not GArray.
  Patch by Alberto Mardegan, taken from telepathy-mission-control.

Tue Apr  8 17:58:59 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove tp_iface_quark_channel_interface_hold from docs

Tue Apr  8 17:17:14 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpTextMixin: trivial coding style fixes

Tue Apr  8 17:09:06 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Remove resource limits in text-mixin.c (no longer needed)

Tue Apr  8 16:14:23 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Divide the service-side Channel interfaces up like the client-side ones are

Tue Apr  8 15:34:29 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * TpTextMixin: drop the futile attempt to limit memory consumption

  There are so many ways to induce a typical connection manager to consume memory
  (opening large numbers of text channels from different contacts; sending large
  numbers of invitations to different chatrooms; starting large numbers of VoIP
  calls) that guarding against this one in particular, and dropping messages as
  a result, doesn't seem worthwhile at all. In particular, arbitrary message
  truncation is the wrong way to do it.

  If we do anything about memory limiting, we should (a) do it right, and (b)
  limit memory per connection rather than globally. If we really care about this,
  the way forward would probably be to use a separate process per connection
  (the Telepathy spec allows for this, although many clients probably get it
  wrong since we've never implemented it before).

Thu Apr  3 18:25:54 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Nano version 0.7.6.1

Mon Apr  7 17:43:34 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * Update doc-generator.xsl from Telepathy spec

Fri Apr  4 16:59:55 BST 2008  Simon McVittie <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk>
  * glib-client-gen: cope with Unicode characters in the spec