[Telepathy] P2P tubes on link-local (Salut)

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 22 04:52:08 PDT 2008

Le Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:50:27 +0100,
Alban Crequy <alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Salut implements MUC tubes, but not 1-1 tubes:
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Tubes
>
> Our current "tubes over XMPP" spec does not specify 1-1 tubes on
> link-local:
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/xmpp/tubes.html
>
> I started a draft to add 1-1 tubes on link-local (both stream tubes
> and D-Bus tubes) on this spec:
> http://monkey.collabora.co.uk/telepathy-gabble-alban-tube/
> HTML version: http://people.collabora.co.uk/~alban/tmp/tubes.html

I've written a diagram for link-local peer-to-peer stream tubes:

http://people.collabora.co.uk/~alban/d/2008/05/salut-stream-tube/salut-stream-tube.png
http://people.collabora.co.uk/~alban/d/2008/05/salut-stream-tube/salut-stream-tube.msc

A TCP or Unix connection can be established only when the other end
listens on the socket. The other end MUST listen on the socket
causally before the connection attempt. The above diagram shows
TCP/Unix connections, D-Bus messages and XMPP stanzas. Each kind of
message can travel at different speed.

Proposed rules to avoid race conditions:

1. The web server MUST listen for connections from the CM before
offering the stream tube.

2. The initiator CM MUST listen for connections from the receptor CM
before sending the XMPP IQ stanza set.

3. The receptor CM MUST listen for connections from the Web browser
before sending the TubeStateChanged D-Bus signal.

--
Alban