[Telepathy] Account.Interface.ChannelRequests

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 04:31:35 PST 2008

Ar 24/11/2008 am 13:04, ysgrifennodd Alberto Mardegan:
> - Performance: The ChannelDispatcher object is not necessary, and the
> ChannelRequest is a good thing only in theory: with its Proceed() method and the
> need to connect to the Failed and Succeeded signals, I'm afraid it's making
> things slower.

Signals don't need to be connected each time, you can just add a message filter
that match on interface + signal name, which has a one-off setup cost. This is
assuming that libdbus-glib lets you do this in a sane way, of course.

> The TP spec is IMHO just more beautiful, but I don't think that APIs should be
> judged on the such criteria; I consider its channel requesting API inconvenient,
> even though of course it can be wrapped in a nicer library.

I think beauty, conveneince and performance are all good criteria for judging
an API. The difficulty is in achieving a good compromise.

--
Dafydd