[Telepathy] New ContactInfo interface based on vCards

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 03:08:00 PST 2008

Ar 20/11/2008 am 12:09, ysgrifennodd Will Thompson:
> Hi,
>
> I've been working on a draft[0] of a new ContactInfo connection
> interface, which models the information as a slightly structured
> representation of vCard data. (Contrast with the old interface, which
> represented vCards as... a string containing a vCard. :-)) While vCard
> is kind of hairy and suboptimal, it's widely used (both XEPs relating to
> contact info are based on vCard) and there's no point in defining
> another format only to have to map to and from the vCard semantics in
> every CM.

Um.

If vCards are widely used, perhaps sending and receiving them as strings is
not such a bad thing. Otherwise software that already supports them has to
be modified to support our new interface, or has to undo the translation that
the connection manager does. Essentially, we *have* defined another format,
it's just not a text one, and software will have to do lots of mapping back
and forth.

I concur that this interface is more helpful for software that doesn't already
understand vCards, but there are existing, mature libraries to help with that.

--
Dafydd