[Telepathy] telepathy-glib: TpConnectionManager::protocols is awkward

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 05:02:34 PDT 2008

On 14/10/08 10:18, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 13:48 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
>
>> The other source of information is the ".manager" file. This is a
>> cache
>> on disk of what answers the CM would give to those method calls, as an
>> optimization. TpConnectionManager also automatically reads .manager
>> files.
>>

> This seems to be at, for instance,
> /usr/share/telepathy/managers/idle.manager
>
> Is this generated at runtime or installed initially?

It's installed. But not all connection managers will have .manager
files. For example, the example CMs in telepathy-glib/examples/cm do
not, and it would be very inconvenient to have to install .manager files
for them to be able to run them.

Also, telepathy-haze should not have a .manager file (but currently
does, because of limitations in Mission Control 4), because the
protocols supported by libpurple can only be reliably determined at
runtime. (Perhaps your libpurple was built without support for Lotus
Sametime? Perhaps you've installed a protocol plugin for tlen.pl?) Then
the only way to determine what protocols telepathy-haze supports is to
start it and inspect it, which takes several seconds on my machine.

Given that using any D-Bus API inevitably entails using asynchronous
method calls, I don't see why it's so bad that the ConnectionManager
proxy object's introspection is asynchronous.

--
Will