[Telepathy] New designs for "Welcome to Empathy" and "Accounts and Settings" windows

Olivier Le Thanh Duong olivier at lethanh.be
Thu Aug 6 11:46:02 PDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Matthew Paul Thomas<mpt at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> At the Gran Canaria Desktop Summit last month I met many of the
> Telepathy developers, and discussed possible improvements to the design
> of Empathy's initial setup, accounts, preferences, and other details.
>
> A few weeks ago I met some of the Empathy developers in London, and
> presented a first draft of my designs for some of these elements.
>
> I've now refined the designs from feedback at that meeting, and
> published them on live.gnome.org.

Hi,
I like your designs, thanks you for working on them.
I do have some comments so here are my 2c :

> "Welcome to Empathy" process:
> <http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/WelcomeToEmpathy>

1/ The pidgin import, if the user did use pidgin but on another
computer or  if he reinstalled his distro, won't he be confused?
or will this option be shown only if the pidgin directory is present?
Shouldn't we show which account we will import?

So I suggest we have a separate option :
 [] Use my settings from pidgin:
    * 1st account detected
    * 2nd account
    * etc...

Also remember we may import from other program than pidgin (e.g.
someone was working on a gajim importer)

2/ The first dialog has a [x], can be closed by ctrl-w but no cancel button?

3/ The advanced settings button should be present in account
configuration since some users won't be able to connect to their
accounts without it.

4/ I don't like the radio button to add another account. How about
presenting the windows again with a 'No thanks that's all the account
I have' button?

> "Accounts and Settings" window:
> <http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/AccountsAndSettings>

I like the way the connection errors are shown it will certainly help the users.

5/ The icon for the tabs are fancy but I think the Gnome standard for
preference dialog are simple tabs with only text. If we want icons we
should probably have an agreement with the rest of Gnome so that
Empathy doesn't feel out of place.

6/ Do we really want to merge the account dialog with the general
preference? I think the long term plan is to have a Gnome capplet for
this.

7/ Selecting which sound if played for an event. Shouldn't that be
done in the Gnome sounds properties since this get changed when the
sound theme get changed?

Also if Empathy is using the Gnome proxy preference it may be nice to
have a button which launch gnome-network-properties so the user can
configure it easily.

Regards,
    Olivier

--