[Telepathy] Vino-telepathy for a single window?

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 07:18:45 PDT 2009

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
>> I believe libvncserver (inside Vino) already uses damage and composite
>> internally, to get a pixbuf for the root window. So I think its not too
>> hard to modify it to look at one particular window, but the devil is in
>> the details. There are a lot of them. :(
>
> Indeed.  For Sugar, if we ever do this, it will probably be by forcibly
> sandboxing each activity in a Xephyr or similar, which should make the
> problem trivial, or nearly so.

That helps a lot. :)

> For the record, I've given up on the single-app feature for the moment,
> and instead just whipped up a whole-desktop sharing activity, "Watch Me"
> [1].  It's just x11vnc running in view-only mode, tunneled over a stream
> tube to a client built on gtk-vnc-python (same codebase as Gnome's
> Vinagre).  I'm using x11vnc instead of Vino because Vino is hard to invoke
> (it relies on gnome-session and gconf).

Nice. :)

> Watch Me makes absolutely no attempt to be compatible with Empathy.
> That's something I'd like to fix.  I get the feeling that it would require
> explicit support in the Sugar shell, though, at least for connecting to an
> Empathy server.

Right. The Sugar shell needs to respond to incoming tube offers
(NewChannels) by showing an icon for the invite, then dispatching them
to the activity somehow. 1-1 chats are handled similarly, I think, as
presence service only concerns itself with specially-formed OLPC
activity invites.

This is one point where Sugar could benefit from looking at current
Telepathy work on channel dispatching and Mission Control 5, where the
Shell could be an Approver (to show the invite) and the Activity a
Handler (to deal with the channel).

The other concern is that, currently, you can't properly
see/find/invite/interact with people who aren't using Sugar, but we
outlined the steps to fix that in a ticket (d.l.o #8841) quite some time
ago... :)

> --Ben

Regards,
Rob

--
Robert McQueen                                 +44 7876 562 564
Director, Collabora Ltd.             http://www.collabora.co.uk