[Telepathy] tp-ashes meeting review.

Davyd Madeley davyd.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 17:40:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 23:54 +0100, David Laban wrote:

> Another thing to look out for is the Telepathy Book, which is currently
> missing a section on writing connection managers [if anyone wants to
> contribute].

It currently has a very basic section on implementing a TpSvc, with
examples specifically to help people implement Client.*. This should
eventually be fleshed out, or possibly combined with a chapter on
writing a Connection Manager. Patches are welcomed.

> Integer handles have the following valid rationale:
>
> Provide poor-man's type check.
>
> Provides a normalisation guarantee. (you never want to see
> ALSUREN at gmail.com)
>
> Many-one string-int mapping. RequestHandles(InspectHandles(h)) == h. Use
> prefixes if you can have the same email address mapping to different
> accounts (eg msn/yahoo).
>
> The following arguments are probably not valid:
>
> Speed (let's be honest: dbus is going to be slow whatever happens, and
> the only time you *notice* a slowdown is sign-on time, when you will
> probably use InspectHandles anyway, since you need to match up chat
> history across sessions. Internally, you can use a string table to make
> sure you're only ever doing integer compares.
>
> The following problems are found:
>
> A user quickly signing in and out of a chat may have their handle
> deleted before it can be inspected. Distributed reference counting is Hard.

I believe this is covered in the book under Basics/Handles. If you think
anything is missing or incorrect there. Let me know or send a patch.

BR
--d

--
Davyd Madeley