[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-gabble 0.9.3

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 05:10:52 PST 2009

Announcing telepathy-gabble 0.9.3, the ``TRANSPORT CHAOS threat level:
PANDEMONIUM'' release. Telepathy-gabble is the Jabber (XMPP) connection manager
for the Telepathy real-time communication framework.

The 0.9.x series is the Gabble development branch and not recommended for use
in stable distibutions.

tarball: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-gabble/telepathy-gabble-0.9.3.tar.gz
signature: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-gabble/telepathy-gabble-0.9.3.tar.gz.asc

git: git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/telepathy-gabble.git
gitweb: http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-gabble.git

Highlights:
 * Various updates to the OpenSSL backend causing it not to stall when
   reading multiple ssl records at the same time

Enhancements:

* Gabble now advertises a 'pmuc-v1' capability bundle, telling the Google Mail
  client that we support being invited to MUCs. (fd.o#22768, jonnylamb)

* Rather than hard-coding a list of SOCKS5 proxy servers to use if the user's
  own XMPP server does not provide one, Gabble now falls back to a list of
  proxy servers returned by discoing the newly-set-up proxies.telepathy.im.
  (fd.o#25304, cassidy)

* Various leaks fixed as pointed out by valgrind (daf, sjoerd)

Fixes:

* Do not re-publish our own vCard if nothing's changed (fd.o#25341, andrunko)

* The default resource is now unique to the machine Gabble is running
  on, rather than being randomly generated for each connection. Fixes
  fd.o#23630: “Per-connection resource randomization increases the
  window in which you lose messages”. (wjt)

* Always assume that MUC servers will let us change the subject, mitigating
  fd.o #13157; previously we assumed they would only let moderators change
  the subject. (smcv)

* fd.o #21152: allow joining chatrooms on servers that don't respond to disco
  queries, like talk.google.com (jonny)

* fd.o #22456: append fallback conference server if the room name has no @,
  rather than just failing (if using the Requests API) (jonny)

* fd.o #22768 (partial): reassure talk.google.com that we can be invited to
  chatrooms. This enables us to be invited to private MUCs by the Google
  client, but doesn't currently support creating them. (jonny)

* fd.o #24558: correctly flag the password parameter as secret (smcv)

* Use TpDebugSender for debug output, instead of reimplementing it (jonny)

* Allow sending chat state to contacts whose capabilities we don't know,
  such as invisible Google Talk users (wjt)

* Only disco SOCKS5 proxies when they're needed for a file transfer or tube.
  (fd.o#21151, cassidy)

* Do not advertise support for file transfers unless a handler is available.
  (fd.o#25243, smcv)

* Do not re-publish our own vCard if nothing's changed (fd.o#25341, andrunko)