[Telepathy] D-tubes howto

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Sun Feb 15 10:08:38 PST 2009

Hi Guillaume,

Jiri:
> > http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri/tubes/tubes-howto.html

Guillaume:
> Thank you very much for your work. Telepathy is currently lacking of
> end-users documentation and all the help is welcome.

No worries - thanks for the feedback! Incorporated, document and example
updated.

> Few comments after a quick read:

> - "Tubes currently only work over the server-based XMPP protocol; thus,
> you'll need to use GTalk or Jabber accounts."
> Tubes are also implemented in telepathy-salut, our link-local XMPP
> connection manager.

Ah, that would be because I was concentrating on one-to-one tubes, which (as
far as I know) do not currently work over link-local XMPP. However, I omitted
to say that in the document... fixed. Also, I'm concentrating on D-tubes
(rather than stream tubes).

> You should add telepathy-gabble and/or -salut to your dependency list.

Added telepathy-gabble.

> - Not sure for the MC part as I never used this API directly. Maybe the
> ConnectionsWatcher object I wrote for Sugar should be merged to
> telepathy-python and you could use it?

Ah, I didn't know about the Connection.get_connections() function. That gets
rid of that.

I've also cut'n'pasted from your example the signal handler to watch for
connections appearing and disappearing; as with the buddies, it just prints
them out.

BTW, on line 54 of your code, should that be "self.bus" rather than "bus", or
is there a subtlety that I'm missing?

54 	 for conn in Connection.get_connections(bus):

> - You should probably talk about the ContactCapabilities interface.
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec.html#org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connec
>tion.Interface.ContactCapabilities.DRAFT

That's an experimental, not-yet-available interface; however, link added.

> UI should check if contacts support tubes before displaying them. This
> is implemented only in recent versions of Gabble atm.

Yeah; I'm not sure how one would do this with the current interface, though.

> - You still use the old tube API. We are currently working on a new,
> more coherent, API where each tube is a channel.

Ah. That will make more sense, but it's an experimental, not-yet-available
interface; still, links added.

> Please let us know if you have any question. I'm sure we'll be able to
> work together to have a rocking tutorial!

Probably the most embarrassing weakness of the example right now is the error
message, "Alice offered you an invitation, but you don't have the needed
external application to handle it." How do I tell telepathy that I'm handling
the tube and that it shouldn't do that, please?

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri