[Telepathy] Debugging question in telepathy-python + Sugar

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 14 07:35:02 PDT 2009

Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> Can you tell me exactly what happen in this scenario from a Telepathy
> pov?
>
> activity is opened and shared:
> - You create a new muc room and join
> - You request a tubes channel
> - You offer a tube on this channel (D-Bus? Stream?)

D-Bus

> activity is closed:
> - You close the muc room and so the tubes channel and the tube
>
> Is that correct?

I'm not sure.  I mean to say: participant A launched an activity, and then
shared it, which created a D-Bus tube.  Participant B joined the shared
activity, and correctly received the tube.  The two participants were able
to communicate correctly over this tube.  Then participant A left the
shared activity, but B remained.  Participant A then relaunched the shared
session from the Journal.

(It's not possible to rejoin the shared session from the Neighborhood
view, because of http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/934.)

> What happen when the activity is relaunched from the Journal?
> - You rejoin the same room?
> - Does it still contain participants?
> - Are you offering a new tube?

I am not offering a new tube.  I think I'm joining the same room, with
participant B still inside, but I am not sure.

> If the Journal doesn't explicitly re-offer the tube, there are different
> scenarios:
> - Tube was a D-Bus one and some people were still in the tube when you
> left and rejoin. Then the tube still exists.

This is the scenario that I expect to be in.

> Does that make sense to you?

Yes.

Another point I should make is: this "re-joining" behavior works fine for
the Chat activity, which avoids ListTubes altogether.  Unfortunately, Chat
uses the Telepathy API in a way that I do not understand.