[Telepathy] Unidirectional webcam calls (MSN)

Louis-Francis Ratté-Boulianne Louis-Francis.Ratte-Boulianne at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 17 08:56:49 PDT 2009

Windows Live Messenger, being what it is, supports several way to have
an audio/video conference with a buddy. One of them is unidirectional
webcam sessions (when you click on the webcam icon near the avatar in
the official client). Everything is in place to support this feature
except one thing: bi-directional webcam "conference" (one session in
each direction). Moreover, we could have an audio call while the webcam
is enabled.

Here are some of the solutions Tester and I have evaluated:

- --------

1 - Hide everything behind a media stream handler. When a new webcam
session is added, just change the direction of the stream.

  => We need a new fsmsnconference element for each webcam session so
that means we also need a new media session handler. Also, the
connection state is different for each underlying stream. (REJECT)

- ---------

2 - Create a new media session handler for each webcam session.

  => That could work..but that implies that if a new webcam session is
requested afterwards (e.g. the peer was currently sending his webcam and
he just asked you to send yours as well), we will have to auto-accept
it. The pending_flags of the streams don't seem to be used anywhere
(NEED CHANGES) *

* Also, i'm not sure if the Self member should be moved back in the
pending list in that case...

- ---------

3 - Create a new media channel for each webcam session.

  => That is the simplest solution from the CM side, but we need a way
to have two media channels in the same window. (NEED UI CHANGES)

- ---------

According to me, solution 3 is the one making the more sense: a media
channel represents a media call and a unidirectional webcam session is a
call in itself.

Any comments on that matter ? Which solution seems the better to
implement ? Thanks

PS: Do we want a different request message depending on the type of
sessions ("XYZ want to send his webcam, do you want to answer?") The
stream handlers are not yet created when asking user approval so we
can't use that information to set the message. Maybe using the new
InitialAudio and InitialVideo properties ?

- --
Louis-Francis