[Telepathy] msn support status

Youness Alaoui youness.alaoui at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jun 3 11:48:17 PDT 2009

Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> Thank you, anyway I will try to help you in fixing bugs, even if I'm
> not so expert in this.
Great

> I have another questions:
> where can I find the papyon source so I try to use it instead of pymsn
> (which is quite an old version from last year) or is it just a simple
> rename without any change?
This is the the git repository of papyon :
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=papyon.git;a=summary
But I'd suggest you use this branch instead :
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/kakaroto/papyon.git;a=summary
You will also need my telepathy-butterfly branch that uses it :
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/kakaroto/telepathy-butterfly.git;a=summary

We had a name change, then added support for webcam, and we're now
working on adding support for audio calls (telepathy-butterfly isn't
done implementing that yet!)

You should know though that aMSN2 is also using papyon as its protocol
library and the amsn team will be the main maintainer of the library and
they have already contributed quite a few patches to papyon.. Knowing
how aMSN has the most complete feature set and compatibility with the
official client, you can be sure that papyon will definitely grow to
replicate all the features that the current aMSN (SVN) has!

> These are the answers to your questions:
> ** I'd like to use pure telepathy to abandon pidgin, so
> telepathy-butterfly is the way to go, and needs to be synchronized to
> papyon features as possible
Well, filing bugs on whatever you find missing is a good way to start
synchronizing this feature set...

> ** with protocol emoticons I mean (for MSN)
> http://www.sherv.net/MSN-Info/Custom-MSN-Emoticons/Custom-MSN-Emoticons_files/Custom_MSN_Emoticons_Menu.jpg

ok, the normal emoticons, no, no support yet, but embeding images in a
text message is planned.

> ** about the buddy of windows live messenger: they are the normal
> icons which are supported normally, but I think they changed the way
> they are sent, so currently they are not shown (as the user does not
> have set any icon). Pidgin resolved this problem some time ago using
> this patch: http://developer.pidgin.im/attachment/ticket/7180/fix-icons.diff
> which should be ported to papyon
no, these should work, that 'bug' comes from pidgin's code which was
doing unnecessary checks, but afaik, papyon doesn't, so there is no need
to patch it, it should keep working as it did before...