[Telepathy] On reliably detecting new members

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 3 15:02:10 PDT 2009

Dear Telepathy devs,

I would like to detect new members reliably, as they join a D-Bus tube, in
order to pass them initialization information.  I have been doing this by
sending out a broadcast message saying "Hi, I'm new here", to which the
existing members can reply, as done in the HelloMesh example.  However, it
now occurs to me that there is also the "watch_participants" method on the
tube, which makes this sort of broadcast seem redundant and unnecessary.

What is the best way to (reliably) detect new members as they join?

Thank you,
Ben Schwartz