[Telepathy] empathy busy/away status icons color

Fernando ferkiwi at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 04:29:17 PDT 2009

Hello.
I've started using empathy and I find quite disorienting the colors
that are being used for the status icons.

Every messaging client I know of (Pidgin, Gajim, Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo)
uses a red icon for the "busy" status, while the "away" status icon is
either yellow or some white/light color. This color scheme is pretty
much a de-facto standard in IM clients, imho.

I think that empathy should follow this guidelines, as it's intended
to give support to these protocols. For me it's quite confusing and I
usually tend to think that someone is away when it's busy and busy
when it's away.

I've attached a recolored version of the icons in this email, in svg.

Another option would be to use the current red triangle for busy and
the yellow one with the note for away.. changing the note to a clock
for the yellow one in the idle status (also attached is the missing
yellow icon with the clock).

What's your opinion? should it be changed for consistency or should it
be kept as is?

--
Fernando