[Telepathy] [empathy] default size of a chat window

Mike Turquette mturquette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 09:10:19 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Fernando<ferkiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Nicolò Chieffo<nicolo.chieffo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I would like to start a discussion about the default size
>> of a chat window (either a simple chat or a multi user one).
>> In my opinion it is too small (either in height and width), especially
>> when using adium themes.
>> Do you agree?
>
> imho, I think that the biggest problem is the width of the right pane
> in multi-user chat windows. I always have to resize it. It should be
> at least half the size it is now (or less).
>
> And then, either make the chat window larger or make some cleaner
> themes that don't require that much space (renko's themes waste a lot
> of space below the pics). For example, look at the Google Talk
> official client themes:
>  http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u37/joeldsouza/buublethemeemoticons.png
> This looks clean, small (300x251) and still looks quite good.
>
> I think that the current 350x375 is a good size, but the left MUC
> panel should be smaller and perhaps it needs themes more fitting.
>
> just my opinion.

My $0.02: if any changes are made to Empathy please keep in mind that
there are small-screen ARM devices that want to use Empathy and TP!  I
think an assumption that screens might be as low as WVGA (800x480) is
fair.

GNOME is consistently finding its way into more and more mobile
devices (that keep getting smaller and smaller) so please don't only
write code for the desktop.

Thanks,
Mike