[Telepathy] Sugar Presence Service and Resume Behavior

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 30 01:57:27 PDT 2009

Le lundi 29 juin 2009 à 22:12 -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz a écrit :
> My GSoC project involves getting "offline collaboration" working. My model
> for this is that two users can join a shared session, then go offline,
> resume the session from the journal, continue working, and then later
> resume again when they are on the same network/server and have the two
> instances merge.  In Groupthink, all of my algorithms are designed to
> support this.  However, I have discovered that when two such instances are
> resumed, they do not connect to each other.*
>
> I believe the problem lies in the interaction between the Presence Service
> and the Datastore, and before I spend too many hours puzzling out how it
> works, I wonder if anyone could tell me what changes are likely to be
> necessary to achieve the desired behavior.  From my limited understanding
> of the code, it seems that if an instance is resumed from the Journal, its
> unique activity_id might change, and this might prevent it from being
> correctly identified as an instance of an existing shared session.

PS doesn't know anything about Journal or DS. He just allows you to
create activity, share it (using the D-Bus API) and discover shared
ones.

I can't really tell you more as I never been involved in the Journal/DS
bits.

> I also wonder what the status of the Presence Service rewrite/removal is.

Mission-Control 5 was finally released (!) so it would be good to start
considering actually killing PS. Unfortunately, no body is working on
this afaik.

	G.