[Telepathy] Telepathy for Voice & Video

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 07:28:43 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 03:32:44PM +0100, Pavel Rojtberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to transmit a Video Call from a Nokia IT to a
> Ubuntu Desktop using Telepathy.
>
> The Nokia IT runs Maemo 4.1 which provides:
> * Telepathy 0.3.1
> * Farsight  0.1.25
>
> The Ubuntu Desktop has
> * Telepathy 0.3.3
> * Farsight  0.1.28
>
> For testing purpose I tried to make a call using Emathy and the Nokia
> client, but I only managed to get the following connections:
>
> * Maemo to Maemo: voice & video works
> * Maemo to Ubuntu: voice works, enabling video crash the app
> * Ubuntu to Maemo: voice works, enabling video crashes
> telepathy-stream-engine on Ubuntu
> * Ubuntu to Ubuntu: voice works, enabling video crashes
> telepathy-stream-engine
>
> now I am wondering if Telepathy is capable of doing video calls already
> or whether Telepathy on Maemo is somehow patched, so it only works Maemo
> to Maemo.

telepathy-stream-engine was made for internet tables, on a desktop machine it
has always been slightly flakey as it's quite sensitive to the used gstreamer
version and doesn't cope well with error conditions.

We've been moving to farsight2 and telepathy-farsight which are a lot more
reliable then stream-engine ever was. Current empathy development releases
contain these features and should be available from the Ubuntu telepathy PPA
reasonably soon.

  Sjoerd
--
The rule on staying alive as a forecaster is to give 'em a number or
give 'em a date, but never give 'em both at once.