[Telepathy] File Sharing Utility

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Thu Mar 26 03:26:20 PDT 2009

Le mardi 24 mars 2009 à 09:01 +0530, kartik rustagi a écrit :
> Hi,

Hi,

> I have proposed to develop a File Sharing Utility for the Sugar
> Platform as a part of this years Gsoc. I have been told by developers
> their to ask for comments from you guys since this utility will
> essentially be built as an extension to telepathy, being ported to
> Sugar afterwards. To get an Idea of the functionality kindly check my
> application at:
> *http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File_Sharing_Utility

The fact that your proposal doesn't mention Telepathy at all scares me a
bit.
Telepathy is the Sugar communication framework so these features should
definitely be implemented in it.
It would be good if you could explain what are you plans regarding TP.

You briefly mentioned XMPP but didn't give any clue about how your
protocol would look like. Which existing XEP's do you plan to use? Are
their enough? If not, how do you plan to extend them?

Which network topology are you going to focus on? Server mode (Gabble)
or Serverless (Salut)?

The telepathy-components used in Sugar are written in C
(telepathy-{gabble, salut}). How are your C skills?

Did you discuss with the Sugar guys what their requirements are for such
features? This is very important to ensure that our Telepathy API will
be able to fit their needs.

You have to be aware that this project is a lot of work and is far from
being trivial. More details from you on these technical aspects would
make me feel more confident.

Regards,

	G.