[Telepathy] Telepathy specification meeting, 2009-05-18 (stream tube error reporting)
will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 25 03:55:55 PDT 2009
On Monday 18th, Guillaume arranged a meeting to discuss the outstanding
issues blocking the undrafting of the new StreamTube and DBusTube
* Will "wjt" Thompson
* Simon "smcv" McVittie
* Sjoerd "sjoerd" Simons
* Guillaume "cassidy" Desmottes
* Sumana "sumanah" Harihareswara
* Rob "Robot101" McQueen as Aslan
Review new stream-tube spec branch
Only review comment: in
the docstring needs the xhtml namespace.
Stream tube error reporting
How to report that one of the bytestreams failed? Changing UI protocol
and forcing incompatibility with previous versions to support this would
* Problem with reporting bytestream errors by rejecting the UI
application's connection to the socket: the CM has to open the socket in
order to check the token or credentials or whatever, so it's too late.
* Ideas: Can we mandate something to avoid having to have a token method?
* Simon suggests: let's not have credentials mode and not have unix
sockets. Everything understands TCP.
** Sjoerd doesn't like this, because it's silly to make a TCP connection
to yourself when we have better mechanisms.
** Someone noted that on Windows lots of people have silly firewalls
that will break connecting to yourself on random ports.
* Idea: Having a give-me-a-token method, and then include that token in
signals saying the bytestream broke. Maybe this is the best you can do
unless you do multiple sockets?
* Idea: On the accepting side, have multiple listeners that each only
accept once. Instead of a token, call a "listen again" method.
* Idea: Declare multiaccepting to be declared legacy mode? If you try
to connect twice to a listening port, then you're in legacy mode and
can't match up. It's okay for legacy ones to fail because they aren't
Around this point, ROB MCQUEEN enters the CONFERENCE ROOM and declares
that certain individuals may be advocating PERFECTION over AN
IMPLEMENTABLE SOLUTION that WORKS.
* Tentative solution: Incoming & outgoing streams: 1 signal for each
side; 1 has 3 args, 1 has 1 arg. if local, has id; otherwise, 3 args are
connection parameters, the contact handle, and ID. In each case, the
CM emits the signal whenever someone connects to the socket; if you care
about matching up your connections to the signal, then you connect once
at a time, waiting for the signal. If stream breaks, the CM emits a
stream error signal with ID so we can identify the connection.
(Editor's note: Guillaume has since implemented this suggestion.)
Blocks on tube new API undrafting
* The only block is error reporting.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 260 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/telepathy/attachments/20090525/e52cf46c/attachment.pgp
More information about the telepathy