[Telepathy] D-tubes and empathy

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Sat Nov 7 04:53:05 PST 2009

Hi Jose,

> I've been following telepathy and tubes technology for some time.
> Since MC5 hit distros, I would like to know first. Is there a new
> version of the tutorial for D-tubes on the work?

Yes, there is. However, I'm writing the tutorial as a user of the library, so
right now you probably know about as much as I do... If you find out how to do
it before I do, please write it in?

> Suppose you want to share a file with a contact and work in it.
> So, normaly you will send, by email or telepathy the file and then work by
>  IM.
> So Does it make sense for you? I am thinking specially about evince,
> or maybe gedit (to collaborate when writing scientific articles) and
> for me it doesn't make sense to add "contact choosing UI and logic" to
> evince or gedit, so the above workflow is what I think may work
> better.

Well, the hard part of working together is getting evince or gedit to
coordinate the changes without getting out of synch.

> So if this make sense, how can one achieve that in empathy?

You could probably write a small wrapper to do it, but since you'll be
changing evince or gedit anyway, it's probably easier to put it all in the one
place.

Also, if you start the two users' programs on separate copies of the files,
you have to worry about what to do when they're not identical. For instance,
what happens if the connection is interrupted (by network outage or lunch),
the two copies are saved in slightly different versions, and then the users
want to resume?

Obviously, for something like meld, that's the main use case; but for most
things, it would just be a problem.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri