[Telepathy] Properties of D-Bus MUC tubes

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Fri Oct 9 00:58:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 12:31:49PM +0100, Will Thompson wrote:
> Alban Crequy wrote:
> > Total ordering
> > --------------
> > It is guaranteed by Gabble because it use a MUC server, so the server
> > decides the order of the messages, and everybody receive the messages
> > in the same order.
> >
> > For Salut, I think it is guaranteed by the clique protocol and the
> > reliable multicast protocol. Sjoerd, can you confirm?
>
> I believe that Clique only guarantees causal ordering.

That's correct. Doing total ordering on p2p or other distributed networks is
very inefficient and basically impossible to do correctly (basically you're
forced to centralize to be able to do this, missing the point), while causal
ordering can be quite efficient and is relatively easy to implement :).

  Sjoerd
--
After the last of 16 mounting screws has been removed from an access
cover, it will be discovered that the wrong access cover has been removed.