[Telepathy] Memory leak in Telepathy/Empathy when connecting to Openfire XMPP

David Harper david.harper at city-link.co.uk
Mon Oct 19 09:08:31 PDT 2009

Thanks for the response. I can appreciate the difficulty in debugging
this, especially without acknowledgement from the Openfire developers.
Unfortunately I'm not great with Java so I'm hoping someone else from
the ignite list can help out with something a bit more technical.

The telepathy-gabble version is 0.8.6-1

David Harper
Web Application Developer
City Link - Head Office
www.city-link.co.uk <http://www.city-link.co.uk>

On 19/10/2009 16:18, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:02:26AM +0100, David Harper wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Myself and other users are finding that connecting to an Openfire XMPP server
>> with Empathy causes a memory leak in the server until it falls over.
>>
>> Having upgraded to the pre-release Ubuntu with new Telepathy Tubes (the only
>> person connecting to our server at has), the symptoms started to occur. Not
>> connecting Empathy and they don't.
>>
>> I have also filed a bug/comment against the server as I'm not sure who's
>> fault this is:http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/196905
>>
>> There is some good discussion there with some users having looked further
>> into causes.
>>
> I read through the bugreport, but it doesn't seem like a clear cause has been
> identified. From our side of the fence this is quite hard to debug (as in, it's
> hard to guess what behaviour in Gabble would trigger this issue without knowing
> openfire).
>
> One issue that comes to mind was that in telepathy-gabble 0.8.5 a nasty
> regression was introduce which would request the users own vcard in a loop,
> although hopefully that doesn't cause a leak in OpenFire... This was fixed in
> 0.8.6, which Ubuntu is now shipping AFAIK. Would be interesting to know which
> version of gabble is being used?
>

>> With Telepathy going default in Ubuntu in the next couple of weeks this could
>> cause a major issue with people using Openfire servers.
>>
> Understandably. Hopefully someone familiar with OpenFire can work out what
> triggers this so we can try to solve it.
>

>> Having reported it to Empathy/Gnome they've said it's not their issue and to
>> try here!
>>
> If anything it's a problem with the interaction with telepathy-gabble, which
> has its bugzilla on freedesktop. So they are completely correct :)
>
>    Sjoerd

individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and
confidential information. If you have received this message in
error or there are any problems, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your computer. The
unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this
message is forbidden. This message has been checked for all
known viruses by City Link prior to sending.