[Telepathy] A 'now-running' interface for Rhythmbox, games and Empathy

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 03:34:31 PDT 2009

Resurrecting an ancient thread: this came up again recently, and I
thought it worth recording a suggestion.

Alban Crequy wrote:
> == Telepathy spec ==
>
> Mission Control can then merge Client's Channel
> Classes which can be published as Now-Running and call a
> SetSelfNowRunning on the CM.

We wouldn't need new API for this: we could define a handler capability
token—"org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Handler/running", say—which MC
could add to the Handler's Capabilities property and call
UpdateCapabilities() for that client. The spec already allows for this:
Handler_Capabilities.Capabilities is only documented to *usually* be a
copy of the client's Capabilities property. :-)

For bonus points, clients that always want to claim to be running, even
if they're not, could specify this token themselves.

Crack? Or good crack?

Will