[Telepathy] [Telepathy-Qt4] Installation of test library

Dario Freddi dario.freddi at collabora.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 04:24:30 PDT 2010

On 19/04/2010 13:05, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 at 15:36:20 +0200, Dario Freddi wrote:
>
>> unit tests. As you all probably know, setting up a test environment for
>> Telepathy is everything but trivial, and that's also why tp-qt4 has a
>> dedicated test library.
>>
> The test library is really not as big as all that; it's also not API-stable
> (if it was, it'd be part of telepathy-qt4!). I wouldn't recommend relying on
> it externally.

Yes, the test library itself is not - the problem is the whole glib
suite, and the setup part (fake dbus daemon, etc), which definitely
requires some magic at buildtime. Given that tp-kde has many different
components, having a shared library (either shipped with Tp-Qt4 or
residing in KDE's svn) is quite a strict requirement for us - it's not
very feasible to copy the whole code over each component.

About API stability, of course I'd try to reach a somehow stable API
(that's also the reason why I added a GlibTest class), that's a strict
requirement even if it would end up in KDE svn. At this stage, my main
concern is the following: if I managed to reach some quality
requirements, would this be material for Tp-Qt4 or should I move this
code to KDE and create a test library over there?

P.S.: I would probably create a small library in KDE anyway, as I have
to sandbox nepomuk as well, but my main concern is avoiding code
duplication.