[Telepathy] Running telepathy-example-inspect-channel/ telepathy-example-inspect-contact

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Aug 11 03:16:05 PDT 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 at 14:37:50 +0530, ved kpl wrote:
> ../telepathy-example-inspect-channel
> org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.gabble.jabber.ved_2ekpl_40gmail_2ecom_2f03b90df6.ImChannel2

That's not a Connection, but delete the ".ImChannel2" from the end and you'll
get the Connection's bus name.

> /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/gabble/jabber/ved_2ekpl_40gmail_2ecom_2f03b90df6/ImChannel2

That looks like a correct Channel, though. Channels are "smaller than"
Connections; that example expects you to specify a Connection, followed by a
Channel belonging to that Connection.

One possible sequence to demonstrate the "low-level" examples, which I should
put in examples/README or something, is:

(1) run examples/client/telepathy-example-list-connections (which does not need
    any command line arguments) to list all connections by their bus name,
    for instance I get:

    ** Message: Found 6 connections:
    ** Message: org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.gabble.jabber.simon_2emcvittie_40collabora_2eco_2euk_2fEmpathy
    ** Message: - CM gabble, protocol jabber

(2) run examples/client/telepathy-example-inspect-connection with one of those
    bus names as parameter; one of the things it lists is all the channels.
    For instance I'd run this:

    examples/client/telepathy-example-inspect-connection \
    org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.gabble.jabber.simon_2emcvittie_40collabora_2eco_2euk_2fEmpathy

    and I get this output:

    Connection ready
    Channel: /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/gabble/jabber/simon_2emcvittie_40collabora_2eco_2euk_2fEmpathy/RosterChannel/List/stored
        Type: org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.ContactList
        Handle: type 3, #1

(3) run examples/client/telepathy-example-inspect-channel and give it the
    connection name from (1), and the channel path from (2). For instance I'd
    run this:

    examples/client/telepathy-example-inspect-connection \
    org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.gabble.jabber.simon_2emcvittie_40collabora_2eco_2euk_2fEmpathy \
    /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/gabble/jabber/simon_2emcvittie_40collabora_2eco_2euk_2fEmpathy/RosterChannel/List/stored

As for examples/client/telepathy-example-inspect-contact, it expects to be
given the bus name or object path of a Connection (as used in (2)), optionally
followed by a contact ID (a JID if you're using XMPP, a Passport if you're
using MSN, and so on). It'll tell you a bit about that contact, or if you
didn't give it a contact, it'll tell you a bit about yourself.

Hope this helps,
    Simon