[Telepathy] Connecting a remote DBus Object over a DBus Tube

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 09:51:09 PDT 2010

Le Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:38:22 +0200,
tomw <tomw at ubilix.com> a écrit :

> well, it seems that all relevant fd's are there. However, I still get
> the dbus timeout...
> Any clue appreciated.

I see in the strace log that it sends successfully the D-Bus method
message to the telepathy-gabble, wait 25 seconds for a reply and
timeouts. I guess it is your method call at path "/tv/vfre..." but I
cannot confirm it because the strings from the strace output are
truncated (try "strace -s 512" to have longer strings).

First I would check in telepathy-gabble debugs logs. Check:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Debugging
(if you are using Empathy, it is easy)

> I was tracing the remote app with strace but it does not seem to
> receive any communication on the socket.

Unfortunately for your debugging, Gabble does not print any debug
messages on the emitter side (where you call the D-Bus Method). But on
the recipient side, Gabble should print one of the following message
each time it receives a D-Bus message:

  DEBUG ("no D-Bus connection: queuing the message");
  DEBUG ("delivering message from '%s' to '%s'",
         dbus_message_get_sender (msg),
         dbus_message_get_destination (msg));
  DEBUG ("delivering queued message from '%s' to '%s' on the "
         "new connection",
         dbus_message_get_sender (msg),
         dbus_message_get_destination (msg));

Can you give the last Gabble debug messages on both emitter and
recipient sides when you call the method?

BR,
Alban