[Telepathy] Certificate verification in empathy

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 14:48:35 PST 2010

On 2010-12-07 16:39, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 12/7/10 2:42 PM, Stef Walter wrote:
>> In your opinion does the 'pinning' of a certificate override all other
>> verification, or merely the identity check?
>
> Only the identity check. You still check the certification path,
> revocation status, etc.

Okay, well then in this case we're doing something different.

The 'certificate exceptions' stored override all other checks. This is
because their main use case is with regards to self-signed certificates.

So I imagine we should keep the terminology separate if 'pinning' a
certificate already has a distinct meaning.

Cheers

Stef