[Telepathy] Received SMSs not announced in Empathy UI?

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.uklinux.net
Thu Dec 16 15:50:57 PST 2010

Hi there...

I'm currently experimenting with ofono + telepathy-ring + empathy on my
Freerunner phone.  I believe everything is starting up correctly, and
ofono detecting the modem, but when I send in an SMS, I don't get any
notification about it in the Empathy UI.

If I then look at empathy's debug log, or at the "Previous
Conversations" dialog, I can see the text of the SMS that I sent.  So
it's definitely getting through, just not being reported.

Am I misunderstanding something about how Empathy chooses what to
announce - or do I perhaps need to configure somewhere that all received
SMSs are important enough to be announced?  Do I perhaps need an
explicit contact for each number that I might get an SMS from?

(Or is it not appropriate to use Empathy, and there's something else
that I should be using instead?)

There's a similar situation with incoming voice calls: no UI
notification at all, at the time the call comes in, but there is a clear
trace of it in the debug log.

Many thanks for any input...

            Neil