[Telepathy] Telepathy Vs. XMPP Library

Paddy Carman paddy.carman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:47:17 PST 2010

Hi All,
    I'm planning to develop an application uses XMPP.  I would like to know
the pros and cons of implementing my application using an XMPP library
directly Vs. using Telepathy. I understand that if I use Telepathy I can
later change the underlying XMPP connection manager implementation without
changing my application. But does this benefit come at the cost of losing
some XMPP functionality that I would've been able to use had I integrated my
app. with an XMPP library directly?

In other words, does Telepathy interface abstraction reduce any of the XMPP
functionality that my app. could make use of (that would be provided by an
XMPP library)?

Thanks in advance for your expert comments!
Paddy