[Telepathy] Requestable and Immutable properteries (was: API sketches for encrypted channels, and OTR)

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jan 4 08:10:21 PST 2010

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 at 10:41:04 -0500, Olivier Crête wrote:
> Maybe there should be a "tp:notification="" attribute on the property
> tag and if its not there, then its immutable. That would force people to
> have it.

If we have an approach like that, it should be mandatory (for our tools), like
tp:name-for-bindings is, so specs that don't have it cause an error with newer
tools. Silently changing the meaning of existing spec XML from "change
notification is unspecified" to "this is guaranteed to be immutable" is
certainly not acceptable.

I think the default should remain as "this might change, and I'm not telling
you how you'll be notified", which is unhelpful, but at least doesn't
introduce hidden API guarantees.