[Telepathy] Plugin Empathy: group same contacts in different protocols

Valeryan_24 Valeryan_24 at laposte.net
Fri Jan 15 08:56:27 PST 2010

Hello,

I'm using Ubuntu and since last version Karmic 9.10, Empathy is the
default IM program in Gnome, replacing Pidgin.

I've tested it, and it is also very well, with lots of features coming
for next versions, and good integration / interaction with other Gnome
elements throw telepathy.

Today, there is not so many plugins as for Pidgin, but all the main
protocols are supported, including Facebook chat.

The only thing I really miss for the moment, and which is available on
Pidgin, is the ability to group on a same alias contacts that I have in
differents IM protocols:

For example, if I have a friend named John who has an account both on
MSN, Jabber and Facebook, if I rename all the alias "John", in Pidgin it
asks me if it is the same person and if yes, proposes to group them:
thus, there is only one line for this contact, that I can deploy to see
all different accounts, but it is more nice / clear on the contacts windows.

As my contacts list is arranged by categories (friends, family, job...)
and not by IM protocol, it is perfect like that.

For now, I do not see this possibility in Empathy : please do you know
if it is on the roadmap, if it will be implemented soon, or if there is
a plugin / solution to manage that ?

Thanks in advance. Xavier