[Telepathy] Using or testing location interface

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc at pierlux.com
Sat Jan 23 08:45:28 PST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 11:58 +0100, Nicolas Derive wrote:
> I would like to know how to test location interface (with a working
> server), as whereas I compile empathy to get this, I can't make it
> working properly (no contact displayed on the map).

First of all, it only works with XMPP servers that support the PEP
extension.  Please read the FAQ about geolocation, it gives details I
won't cover here: http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/FAQ#Geolocation

To test it, the simplest way is to have a friend that share their
location.  Unfortunately, those are rare.  Empathy uses GeoClue to find
out your location but it is broken.  It stopped working properly about 8
months ago and no release were made to fix the issue.  It will still
work with a GPS, but not with network based methods.

I used python scripts that use the Location interface to set fake
locations on fake accounts on a local XMPP servers to develop it. If you
think it could be useful for you, I can send it to you.

Pierre-Luc