[Telepathy] UI thoughts

Varun Madiath vamega at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:35:41 PST 2010

Hi.

I have had a couple of ideas which I think could improve the user
interface of empathy when emapthy is run in a large window (say for
example in the maximized state).

As it stands now, the emapthy interface looks something like what is
shown here when the window is not too wide. This is a rather efficient
display model given the space constraints of the window.

<link1>

When the window is expanded horizontally however, the usage of space is
less than ideal. The Treeview simple expands horizontally, to place the
image at the absolute right of the viewport, and there is a lot of space
that is left unused.

<link2>

What I am proposing is to have this extra space used by more than one
column or contacts. For people with long lists of contacts, this would
reduce the amount of scrolling required to find people. I've created a
mock-up of what I'm imaging and you can find it at the link below. I
apologize to those of you who rightly fail to see great artistic talent,
but my abilities with the GIMP are sub-par.

<link3>

I was informed on the IRC channel (by two very helpful people who use
the nicknames wjt and danni) that I should discuss my thoughts here
before I begin to implement any of my ideas, so I'd love to hear any
feedback people have. Should I get the impression that this is something
that could possibly of utility to the project I'll get started on
working on this.

Cheers

Varun 'vamega' Madiath