[Telepathy] XEP-0163: Updating PEP filters of existing ressources

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 06:02:20 PDT 2010

Hi all,

We are working in Telepathy on adding plugins to our XMPP backend. Once
a plugin is loaded, it may have to subscribe to a PEP node and so update
the capabilities of the resource to include the "http://NODE+notify"
capability.

Unfortunately ejabberd doesn't seem to send us the latest published
items when we update our capabilities (but it does if the capability is
in our initial set of caps), forcing us to pull for nodes. :\

According to http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html#notify-last
the server is supposed to send latest items when a new resource is
registered. Am I right assuming this is true for existing resources as
well? If I am, I think the XEP should make that more clear.

Being able to subscribe/unsubscribe the PEP nodes on the flight is
pretty important, especially on mobile connections to avoid extra
useless XMPP traffic if there is no application currently interested in
updates.

Thanks,

	G.